Welmer

Exploring the East, Revisiting the West

Welmer header image 2

Newspapers Throwing Young White Men Overboard

September 1st, 2009 · 25 Comments

In a pathetically misguided attempt to save itself from oblivion, the sinking ship of the traditional publishing industry has taken to purging young staff — especially if they happen to be white and male.

Lukobe sent me an AP article, the title of which, “APME survey: Newspaper cuts clip younger workers,” is somewhat misleading. In fact, if you read the text it is pretty clear who is getting the axe:

Most of the survey respondents said cultivating an ethnically diverse staff remains a high priority, even as their newsrooms shrink.

Strike one.

The more recent survey by the Associated Press Managing Editors didn’t seek to quantify the percentage of minorities currently working at newspapers. But diversity isn’t just about ethnicity, said Tom Kearney, managing editor of the Stowe Reporter, a weekly newspaper in Vermont.

“Because Vermont is soooooo white, diversity doesn’t involve race as much as it does gender and background,” Kearney wrote in his survey response.

Strike two…

“We did not have enough diversity to begin with,” wrote Lyle Muller, managing editor of The Gazette in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. “Cutting positions put us more at risk. Meanwhile, our community is becoming more diverse so we are getting farther behind in our efforts to reflect it.”

Steerike three! You’re out white boy!

Before anyone gets too hot and bothered about this blatant discrimination, I should point out that newspaper management is stupid. The vast majority of readers are white (Asians, for all intents and purposes, mesh with the white demographic). Blacks see newspapers as “white” publications and have never been a core demographic in their market, and many, many Hispanics don’t even read English, whether or not they are able.

Furthermore, women have already reached saturation in traditional media. I can’t see how adding even more women could do anything to increase readership. In fact, my money is on the opposite effect.

Although this trend of firing young white men at newspapers may be frustrating to readers, I actually welcome it, because it will simply hasten the newspapers’ demise. The sooner the old media goes down to its watery grave the better. Unless the papers can import Hindus and Chinese as replacements, they won’t even be able to make a decent transition to digital media, and from what I’ve heard, insourced workers tend to have some serious problems with the English language — not a good thing for communications companies.

So I see this as a wonderful opportunity. Young men have to quit seeing themselves as having a place in the system, and instead seek to beat it. The newspapers are reeling, and this is the perfect time to stand up and go toe-to-toe with them. When it really comes down to it, all they have is an audience, and that audience is dwindling. Time to take it away from them.

Tags: Arts · Men

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lukobe // Sep 1, 2009 at 4:00 pm

No need to import Indians when you can outsource your reporting to them — http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2007/may/17/localusnewswebsitehiresin ; http://downtownnewhaven.blogspot.com/2009/06/new-haven-newspaper-outsourced-to-india.html ; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,371228,00.html

Regarding that last story, the OC Register has just gone bankrupt. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-freedom2-2009sep02,0,5418721.story

• 2 ganttsquarry // Sep 1, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I agree.
    I used to get mad when I would read this kind of story. Now, not so much. Barely registers. Maybe some of these mostly idealistic, openminded, tolerant, young, white male leftists will wake up a bit and see whats going on.

Or maybe they will blame the evils of capitalism. Who knows.

• 3 Lukobe // Sep 1, 2009 at 4:16 pm

The thing is, even leaving aside the white and male bit, how does it make sense to lay off the young? Sure, they have less experience — but the world in which the older employees have experience has already changed beyond recognition. What’s needed is a good mix. Media companies have nothing if they don’t have the younger demographic, unless they’re making a conscious choice to ride the boomer wave until it crests (which may already be happening), and just shut down when the last one goes on Social Security.

• 4 zbignu // Sep 1, 2009 at 4:20 pm

“Young men have to quit seeing themselves as having a place in the system, and instead seek to beat it.”

That’s the key sentence. Men have been doing this from the dawn of time. Western (white) men have been particularly good at this. I guess we just need a good kick in the balls from time to time to keep us from becoming complacent.

• 5 Elusive Wapiti // Sep 1, 2009 at 6:29 pm

It’s probably bad for me, but I still get ticked off by reading stories like this. Not so much that newspapers discriminate in who they hire/fire, its just that blatant anti-white discrimination happens everywhere and all the time and even white folks seem to be okay with it.

Gag. White folk need to get their balls back.

• 6 Justin // Sep 2, 2009 at 8:31 am

I am with you on that one, E.W. I personalize a bit, I mean, that is me, my sons, my father, my brothers, my cousins, my friends…. Why don’t people object?

I conclude that people have been morally blinded. I attempt to open eyes. It appears to be a losing battle.

• 7 sestamibi // Sep 2, 2009 at 9:03 am

Just heard on the way in to work that Charles Gibson is leaving ABC’s World News Tonight and will be replaced by Diane Sawyer.

• 8 BeltainAmerica // Sep 2, 2009 at 9:09 am

Because feminist attacked not only men but white men (including Jewish men). They wrapped the gender and Western European together and Christianity/Jewish religions into one ball of hatred. Now to be pro male or pro white or pro Christian/Jewish is all one and the same. Not so with being pro black or Indian etc.

To speak pro in any of those areas brands you a racist/sexist hater comlete with double standards.

I will admit over the course of the last few months I have rolled those three things into one as well. I do not think it is possible to achieve equality in one without also getting it in the other areas as well.

Because men will turn on their own to get laid white men have sacrificed their history and racial pride on the altar of feminism as well as their gender pride.

• 9 Professor Hale // Sep 2, 2009 at 10:51 am

“We did not have enough diversity to begin with,” wrote Lyle

There is never “enough”.

In all fairness, If I were an old white guy, managing a newspaper, I would not be firing any of the young sexually adventurous females either. Sorry, young white guys, you don’t have what it takes to “make it in the newspaper business”.

Further, it’s not like newspapers really need to survive. You can already buy paper without the ink on it for your wrapping needs.

• 10 BeltainAmerica // Sep 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Wow Prof.

If I were an old white guy and in charge I would get rid of the women first.

For one thing any attention they showed the old guy would be for manipulation only and for the other I like a safe work environment… You can;t get “safe” with women in the work place these days.

• 11 Alex // Sep 2, 2009 at 1:09 pm

“including Jewish men”

“…Christianity/Jewish religions into one ball of hatred.”

“…pro Christian/Jewish is all one and the same.”

This is news to me.

• 12 BeltainAmerica // Sep 2, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Well Alex it was kinda news to me as well. I had always been of the opinion that most Jews were staunch liberals I admit. Ginsburg springs to mind first but there are others, but of late I have been noticing that Isreal and the Jewish faith seem to be taking as much heat as Christianity.

I think Isreal is the next international target of progressive feminist just like South Africa was 20 years ago.

Feminism has infiltrated the Jewish faith as it did Christianity and soon all that will be left in America is fake “modernized” pseudo Jewish churches. I think the twisting of the Jewish faith has taken longer because it didn’t have as many splinter churches to subvert in division as evangelical Christianity did.

At least that has been my growing take on it over the last year or so.

• 13 EXPOSE JUDEOFEMINISM // Sep 2, 2009 at 4:56 pm

BeltainAmerica:”Feminism has infiltrated the Jewish faith as it did Christianity and soon all that will be left in America is fake “modernized” pseudo Jewish churches.”

Belatain — feminism is largely a Jewish invention! –> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Jewish_feminists

White Protestants kicked off basic women’s rights with suffrage, female literacy/education, worker protections, and so on, but ethnic Ashkenazi Jews hijacked it and turned it in a radical White-hating/Western-hating movement.

• 14 Alex // Sep 2, 2009 at 7:31 pm

BeltainAmerica,

As far as the Jewish religion in America goes, I’m sure all those changes you describe are accurate.

But it’s a mistake to conflate the experience of native white men with that of Jewish men. Jews for the most part have not been under attack as native white men have, and arguably have even benefited from the sustained attack on native white men for the past roughly 40 years or so, judging from their presence at elite universities, professional positions, positions of power and influence, etc.

What’s interesting about Jews today in America is how they straddle a kind of ambiguous area where they’re for all intents and purposes considered white, yet are still somewhat of a minority group. The effect of this ambiguous position is that Jews function as whites, fulfilling the white quotas if you will of various positions and fields throughout society, while at the same time avoiding the formal and informal anti-white, and more specifically anti-white male, animus and measures which are for the most part directed at native white men.

In cultural, professional, educational, social, political life, and virtually every other sphere of American life today, the standard procedure is that the white male presence or dominance of the field, whether real or imagined, is attacked and legal/political measures such as quotas and or political/social intimidation and pressure are employed to curb white men and increase the numbers and power of other groups.

Often the effect of this is to reduce the white males to consist largely of Jews, with very few native white men, such that Jews are vastly overrepresented and native white men are greatly underrepresented. So Jews end up filling up much of these formal and informal quotas for white men. But they’re in a protected position to the detriment of native white men, as any criticism of this arrangement and even the mere mention of it is considered impolitic at best and outright anti-Semitic at worst. By mentioning this state of affairs one is automatically assumed to be somehow suggesting that Jews are non-white, even if this isn’t the intention, and since this suggestion is considered a huge faux pas and no-no in our society today it’s quite effectively deterred from ever even being brought up and discussed.

A great example of this is the ethnic balance of the student population in elite universities such as those in the Ivy League. At Harvard Jewish students make up to a third of the overall student population, whereas native white students (male and female) make up around a quarter or so. To say that Jews are overrepresented while native whites are underrepresented would be a huge understatement. And this pattern exists at other similar institutions as well.

Part of the reason this doesn’t receive as much attention is that in the presence of more salient minorities (blacks, Hispanics, Asians) Jews more effectively pass as whites and aren’t as easily distinguishable, so it goes largely unnoticed by middle American native whites. In the past this was of course not the case; aside from blacks, there were no real minority groups to a substantial degree in the US, so Jews were much more salient. Also native Jewish talent and ability has a role in this phenomenon as well of course.

Anyhow, it is quite a curious and unfortunate state of affairs, to put it mildly.

• 15 BeltainAmerica // Sep 2, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Well I certainly wouldn’t argue about the history or disagree with any of you as in all honesty I know nothing about it.

I was simply replying to what I see today and it is of course just a theory. I maybe way off of course it just seems to me Jewish men and Isreal are taking some serious heat over the last year. This heat also seems to be coming from the same general progressive feminist leftist groups that attacked white Christian men.

Like I said I maybe wrong of course as it is just a personal observation I have not seen anyone write about it or acknowledge it.

• 16 anon // Sep 2, 2009 at 11:45 pm

“many, many Hispanics don’t even read English, whether or not they are able. ”

That is an incorrect assumption and offensive to boot. *I* am Hispanic. My father went to Harvard and I have a Master’s degree.

I’m disgusted.

• 17 Welmer // Sep 2, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Good for you about the education, anon. I am very impressed.

And I’m sorry you’re disgusted, but perhaps you should reserve your contempt for your fellow, illiterate Hispanics:

Literacy Falls for Hispanic Graduates From College

In 1992, 35 percent of Hispanics demonstrated “below basic” English literacy, but by 2003 that segment had swelled to 44 percent.

44% of Hispanic college grads scored “below basic” in English literacy!

Makes that diploma look kinda cheap, doesn’t it?

• 18 Lukobe // Sep 3, 2009 at 12:05 am

EXPOSE JUDEOFEMINISM: Just because there are a lot of Jewish feminists in no way means that feminism is a Jewish invention. Try again.

Alex: “Native white men.” Funny. When did your ancestors come to this continent?

Jews have even benefited from the sustained attack on native white men for the past roughly 40 years or so, judging from their presence at elite universities, professional positions..

Making up for lost time, from when there were restrictive quotas. It wasn’t too long ago, you know.

Glad to see that at the end, anyway.

Welmer: what are the illiteracy figures for other American ethnic groups?

• 19 Welmer // Sep 3, 2009 at 12:11 am

Check the link. For blacks it’s about 25% if I remember correctly. For Asians over 50% are proficient/intermediate, but it doesn’t give numbers for illiterate Asians (or whites).

Remember: these are college grads (great, isn’t it?).

• 20 Kevin K // Sep 3, 2009 at 4:09 am

Two acquaintances of mine are journalists who were laid off from the sports section of their newspapers. They pointed out to me that a super annoying female reporter whose knowledge of her beat was risible was not laid off because the paper thought having a cute, blonde on staff was necessary to secure interviews with owners and certain athletes. Anecdotal, but interesting.

• 21 Lukobe // Sep 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm

What ridiculous colleges are these?

• 22 anon // Sep 3, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Not all colleges are created equal, Welmer. I’m still disgusted. Are you only interested in “White” Men’s Issues? There are also many, many Hispanics who are quite wealthy and literate who do not *need* to come to Amerika to make money. The wealthy who are doing well do not come here except to visit and buy Gucci, Prada or whatever else strikes their fancies.

• 23 Welmer // Sep 3, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Look, anon, I have no problem with people of Spanish descent. That wasn’t my point at all when I wrote that “many, many Hispanics don’t even read English.”

I was pointing out a fact — one that you know is true. If English language newspapers reject a demographic with high rates of English literacy in favor of one with low rates of English literacy they are acting stupidly.

I have a hard time reading Spanish, and only do so when I am very interested in a subject in some Spanish-speaking country. Would I ever expect Spanish language publications to cater to me? No, I wouldn’t, because I don’t have the same sense of entitlement that “Hispanics” (most of whom are genetically less Iberian than I am) have learned to cultivate in America.

Let’s settle this here. If you think discrimination against white men simply because they are white men is OK, then you are scum, morally speaking, and I will fight people like you forever.

Feel free to say the same about me if I discriminate against Hispanic men simply for being Hispanic, but I do not do so, nor have I ever done so.

• 24 anon // Sep 3, 2009 at 10:20 pm

You made a highly discriminatory remark, one that appeared based on conjecture and personal opinion, not on stated fact. When people talk about men or white men, I’m sure it riles us all. I am Hispanic, I am also Caucasian. I would count Jews since they are “white” though they are Semitic.

• 25 rc // Sep 4, 2009 at 12:27 am

Maybe the print industry is doing nothing more than executing its own exit sequence.

When you’re deflating a dying industry, the last thing you want is unexpected and expensive legal action that will exhaust rapidly depleting resources – the main thing is to get staff levels down to a minimum, then as soon as anything resembling a profit is booked, flog the business off to a buyer before the more fundamental forces killing the business off show themselves.

Sacking white boys will not invite unwelcome legal costs and bad publicity – sacking anyone else might. That it may be bad for the business is neither here nor there, when you’ve already made up your mind about the business’s ultimate fate.