Welmer

Exploring the East, Revisiting the West

Welmer header image 2

Blessings Requested

September 11th, 2009 · 11 Comments

Lukobe is getting married on Sunday. Lukobe and I have been friends since we were little kids, so I’d appreciate it if readers would give him their best wishes and and keep him in their thoughts and prayers. He’s a good, hard working, responsible guy with a hell of an intellect, and the bride to be is a good woman from the Inland West (much better than a native Seattlite, IMO).

One of the biggest failures of our society is its utter lack of appreciation for the favor we’re all getting when good men marry. Men may gain some in marriage, but their sacrifices are at least as great. It may be a reward in and of itself for men to sacrifice, which is one of the most lofty traits of masculinity, but we would be lower than beasts in the field if we didn’t recognize, reward and defend those who do so.

Sometimes, I think it is truly a miracle that men still take on these responsibilities, despite the thankless treatment they receive. In fact, it reinforces my own belief, because I can’t see it in any context other than martyrdom.

Therefore, I think it’s incumbent on all of us to give thanks for the men who take on this burden, with all its sorrow and joy, and for us to act as witnesses and guardians of the sacred vows. Of course, I leave it to my readers how they honor my friend’s marriage (if they choose to do so), but as for myself, I pledge to stand as a sentinel and witness, and never to waver in my defense of his sacred vows.

Tags: Men

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 Elusive Wapiti // Sep 11, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Prayers from here. Yes, a man marrying today takes a terrible risk and bears civilization on his shoulders at the same time.

Good for him, and prayers that this will be his first and last marriage.

• 2 ganttsquarry // Sep 11, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Much luck to you Lukobe. Keep your head on a swivel.

Marriage is the bedrock of a sane society and you are doing your part to further western civilization. It’s a risk of course, but I suspect you go into it being fully aware of that. After all you read this website and others like it. I think that gives you much better odds.

For what its worth, coming from a guy you don’t know, I’m rooting for you.

• 3 miles // Sep 11, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Congrats to Lukobe and his bride-to-be. Hope your lives together are rewarding, fufilling, and long. M

• 4 novaseeker // Sep 11, 2009 at 7:37 pm

An Orthodox blessing for marriage, and best of wishes to you, Lukobe:

O eternal God, who hast brought into unity those who were sundered, and have ordained for them an indissoluble bond of love; who did bless Isaac and Rebecca, and did make them heirs of your promise: bless also your servants, Lukobe and ______, guiding them unto every good work. For You are a merciful God, who loves mankind, and unto You do we ascribe glory, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now, and ever, and unto ages of ages, Amen.

Good luck, Lukobe, on my prayer list for these days.

• 5 sestamibi // Sep 11, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Lukobe–

Baruch atah adonai, elohanu melech ha’olom, shehecheyanu, v’kimanu, v’higyanu, lazman hazeh.

• 6 Lukobe // Sep 12, 2009 at 12:46 am

Thank you, Welmer. Thank you all.

• 7 Bhetti // Sep 12, 2009 at 4:18 am

Oh, wonderful! Congratulations. Praying for your happiness, wealth, children, peace and good will to follow you. May all that you seek be a blessing to you, and may you always find guidance in your path through times of hardship and ease.

There is nothing like a man who will take care of his family. It is one of the greatest gifts to give anyone.

• 8 Welmer // Sep 12, 2009 at 3:59 pm

There you go, Lukobe:

Blessings from a Catholic, a Protestant, a Muslim, a Jew and an Orthodox Christian.

Your bases are covered.

• 9 Jay B. // Sep 12, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Yeah, wish your friend good luck from me.

• 10 Lukobe // Sep 13, 2009 at 10:28 am

I still need a Hindu, a Zoroastrian, and a Buddhist! Throw in a Confucian, too. But yeah — thank you all, again.

• 11 Eumaios // Sep 14, 2009 at 8:08 am

Won’t somebody please remember the Unitarians?